Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Snowplow!

I apologize to all for my lengthy absence from the blog-realm. I have been busy at work, and busy during the weekends... what have we been busy doing?!! Well, my husband has decided that I need to learn how to ski. Skiing is his favorite sport, and one that I never had even the slightest of desire to learn.

We purchased a season pass back in November/December (with Jeff and Abby). This pass was purchased through a group, and is only valid during the "night" skiing time (3-close, or on Sundays 4-close). Basically, it was cheap. So two weekends ago we headed to Pennsylvania for some skiing despite the freezing winds and lack of natural snow. I will make a long story short right here just by saying that I ended up wearing Nate's ski-boots and using his skis for the first hour or so that we were at the resort. The boots were so tight on my calves that they were cutting off my circulation. It was painful to walk, stand, breathe...! Finally we switched boots, and my calves felt leagues better.

The first time we went up the ski lift I nearly hyperventilated, I was quite fearful of falling. However, we got off the lift with no falls and even made it down the easy hill without injury. I don't remember much about that day except that my legs immediately began complaining due to lack of usage. Oh, and Jeff learned how to snowboard, which meant he fell a lot, which was quite comical : )

The next day, I woke up to extreme pain. My calves were screaming!!! Basically I had bruised my calves, and for 6 days I had intense pain. I limped around the office, and could hardly walk up and down stairs. YEAH!!! Skiing rocks!!!

Nate convinced me to try it again last weekend. This time we went on Saturday. Highlights of this trip included: 1) Nate taking me down a very large hill, 2) Me screaming at him "I hate skiing, it is the worst sport ever invented!!! This is not FUN, it is WORK!!!!!", 3) Steph and Nate skiing in little "S's" all the way down the very large hill, 4) Steph and Nate going down the very large hill two more times, 5) Steph falling over several times with exhaustion by the third time she made it down the hill, 6) Steph going back to the easy hills she tried the first week of skiing, 7) Steph realizing that she had improved immensely and that IF she skiied the easy hills, skiing could actually be fun, oh and 8) Nate skiing double blacks, and black diamonds on his own. Sorry Nate, but I don't think Abby, Jeff, and I will be joining you anytime soon. Abby also hurt her knee skiing the very big hill, and Jeff broke his snow board skiing the very big hill. Oh yes, we are a group of athletes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your old aunt Trish had a skiing accident YEARS ago and her old neck hasn't been the same since.(I did go skiing after that though)

It is fun when you get used to the freezing weather:-)

Anonymous said...

old Kates would be a pro at it.




( NOT )

Katy

Anonymous said...

you know your old Mom would have been great in the old day's, why i could do that Nordic Track skier like a champ Love,Mom

Anonymous said...

Steph the Snow Bunny! Mt. Hood is next with Uncle Steven.