Monday, August 20, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again...

Well, here I am back in Germany. We flew Chicago to Frankfurt on Air India (more on that later) and then took the train to Stuttgart. We probably got to Stuttgart around 2:30pm, and had to FORCE ourselves to stay awake until 8:30pm. Yes, my friends I went to bed at 8:30. I took some Nyquill and conked out. After one small potty break, I got up this morning at about 7:30am.

Today has been hard. I've spent two full weeks surrounded by the people I love the most, my family, Nate's family, and friends from college. And now, here I am back in a city where I barely know anyone. Oh yeah, and they all speak German. Oh yeah, and it's the official "holiday" month here which means that my fitness center (with the bulk of the Germans I've met) is CLOSED for three weeks! Oh yeah, and I can't start my second German class until the end of September (school closed for holidays). AYE! Well, you know what that means, don't you? I've spent most of today surfing the net and staring morosely out the window (its cloudy and cold).

I know that I really should get up and start doing stuff, I'd feel better for sure. But for some reason it's just hard to peel myself away from the computer. All of that beautiful English for me to read.

OKAY, enough of the sad stuff. The sun will come out (tomorrow... maybe!).

Our flight back to Germany was on Air India. Yet again, I marveled at the difference between traveling with non-Americans vs. Americans. The check-in counter for Air India was severely backed up when we arrived. Despite the wait, the people in line were quiet and peaceful, chatting and laughing amongst themselves. I have also found this to be the case when I fly a German airline. HOWEVER, when we take United or other American airlines I hear infinitely more swearing and people talking about each other (do you see how many suitcases she has? or, why on earth are those people taking so long?!). Why is that? I won't hypothesize as you all probably can form your own opinions. I'll just tell you that my stress level is much lower when we fly "foreign" airlines. AND, the food is better! We had a yummy lamb curry meal on Air India. Not quite like the restaurant, but infinitely better than your normal airplane lasagna.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

"Amen" to the first day back "home"! And "Amen" to the non-American flights! Hang in there! Someone older and wiser than me told me that it always takes a few days to get over this type "blues"!

Anonymous said...

Dear Steph,
Well, just when you are settled in and content, then we will come to visit. We look forward to it and I personally look forward to a break from the norm. Love, Mom